NOTE: The deadline to apply has been updated to Friday, February 9, 2018.
I’m so glad I went to this. It was completely worth my time. I have nothing but positive things to say about it. It’s so rare that I’m in a workshop and I don’t feel the urge to check my smartphone for something more interesting. - 2016 Advanced Training Participant from a State Forestry Agency
Thanks to a generous grant from the US Forest Service State and Private Forestry, the Sustaining Family Forests Initiative will be hosting another Tools for Engaging Landowners Effectively Advanced Training Workshop in Atlanta, GA, April 16-19, 2018. This workshop is offered at no cost to participants to attend.
TELE Advanced Training Workshops are designed to deepen your understanding of the TELE methodology and equip you to:
- apply TELE techniques effectively in your projects
- introduce other colleagues and partners to TELE ideas and practices
- provide guidance and support to your own organizations and partnerships that are using TELE techniques in their projects
We expect you to be familiar with the basic tenets of TELE. The bulk of the workshop will be devoted to interactive exercises to help you apply and communicate TELE concepts. Sessions will include role-play, presentations, and group work on hypothetical projects. In addition, you will be assigned a 20-30 minute session to facilitate (no formal preparation required). You will also have the opportunity to work on your own outreach materials with support from the TELE team and feedback from the entire group. Through these exercises, you will deepen your understanding of TELE concepts, and learn how to address the main challenges in applying and communicating these concepts.
This workshop is offered at no charge to qualified participants. Meals and lodging are provided and some travel assistance is available on an as-needed basis.
Who Would Benefit:
- People who are leading a landscape level initiative that involves outreach to landowners, especially if it involves a coalition of agencies and organizations.
- People who are responsible for designing and implementing a landowner program (like a cost-share program) in a state or region
- People who are charged with helping their agency/organization/department plan and conduct landowner outreach
Participants must have attended a TELE workshop prior to the Advanced Training, and must secure organizational commitment to attend the workshop and implement TELE techniques in their future work.
Where and When:
April 16 - 19, 2018: Emory Conference Center and Houston Mill House, 1615 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30329. Closest airport is Hartsfield-Jackson (ATL). Application Deadline: Friday, February 9, 2018.
The workshop will begin with dinner on Day One (Monday, April 16) followed by two and a half days of intensive TELE training, wrapping up after lunch on Day 4 (Thursday, April 19). Participants should plan to be engaged throughout the workshop.
To apply to attend the 2018 TELE Advanced Training workshop:
Send the following to Cassidy.Dellorto-Blackwell@yale.edu by Friday, February 9, 2018:
- A brief statement* describing how you expect to use what you learn in this workshop
- A brief statement* from your management indicating their support of your participation
- When and where you attended the initial TELE training
- (if applicable) A description of the travel assistance needed for you to be able to participate. Firm numbers are not required - for example, you can say ‘Flight from Anchorage to Atlanta.’
*Please keep responses to each prompt under one paragraph and paste into the body of an email.